A Japan visa is a document required for non-Japanese citizens who want to enter and stay in Japan for a specific purpose, such as tourism, business, study, or work. 

    Depending on the purpose of the visit, different types of visas are available, such as tourist visas, business visas, student visas, or work visas. The requirements for obtaining a Japan visa and the length of stay permitted can vary depending on the type of visa and the individual’s country of origin. 

    To apply for a Japan visa, individuals must submit various documents, such as a passport, a completed visa application form, and proof of financial support.

    The Ministry of foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Justice are in charge of the Japan VISA.


    A Working Visa Japan is required for any foreigner planning to reside and work in Japan for any amount of time.

    A list of professions that qualify for Japanese work visas is provided by the Japanese Ministry of foreign affairs.

    • Artists
    • Engineer or specialist such as an IT engineer, an interpreter or copywriter, a foreign language teacher, etc.
    • Intra-company transferee (someone transferred to the Japanese branch of a company)
    • Journalists
    • Legal or accounting workers
    • Medical professionals such as physicians, pharmacists, nurses, etc.
    • Religious activities
    • Researchers
    • Skilled workers such as foreign chefs, animal trainers, pilots, sports trainers, etc.


    Depending on the occupation and motivation for migrating to Japan, it offers close to 30 different work permits and long-term visas. There are specific work visas available for many professions, including those for skilled workers, journalists, professors, teachers, artists, and more. The length of the employee’s stay in Japan depends on the Work Visa type in Japan they applied for. Usually, the duration is between three months to five years.


    • Highly Skilled Professional (HSP) Visa: This is a fast-track visa for highly skilled foreign workers in fields such as science, engineering, and academia.
    • Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services Visa: This visa is for foreign workers in specialized fields, such as engineering, academia, and international business.
    • Business Manager Visa: This visa is for executives, managers, and specialists who will be managing a Japanese subsidiary or branch office.
    • Skilled Labor Visa: This visa is for foreign workers in fields that require specialized skills, such as cooking, nursing, or construction.
    • Cultural Activities Visa: This visa is for artists, athletes, and other individuals involved in cultural activities.
    • Trainee Visa: This visa is for foreign nationals who want to gain practical experience in their field by working in Japan.

    The specific requirements and conditions for each type of work visa in Japan can vary. It is essential to consult with a qualified Japan migration professional to determine which type of visa is best suited for your specific situation.


    Special Skilled Worker Visa

    People working in Japan as a foreigner to fill job openings in particular labour sectors are eligible for this visa. By 2025, Japan aspires to bring 500,000 additional foreign workers into the country.

    Specified Skills Visa 1-SSV1

    This visa is only available to skilled employees in a few industries, including shipbuilding, agriculture, nursing care, and a few others. Both technical and Japanese language tests are required. The one-year visa is renewable for an additional one to five years.

    Specified Skills Visa 2-SSV2

    This visa is extendable indefinitely, and applicants are allowed to bring family members to Japan. Only after achieving a higher degree of specialisation in their area,  individuals who are already residing and working in Japan on a Visa 1-SSV1 can apply for this particular visa.         


    Step 1: Obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility

    Before obtaining a Japanese work visa, anyone entering the country for a reason other than tourism is required to have a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). The COE is regarded as evidence that the applicant is qualified and may lawfully enter Japan for purposes of work, family, or any other legitimate factor. Employees are needed to have this in advance as it is also necessary for the visa application procedure.

    Although this may differ from visa to visa, some of the common Working Visa requirements for Japan are: 

    • The applicant must have a job offer from a Japanese company 
    • A valid passport 
    • The applicant must fill out and submit the Visa application form 
    • Applicant’s photograph (not older than six months)

    The first step to obtaining a work visa in Japan is to secure a Japanese sponsor, typically the employer. The sponsor must apply for the employee’s Certificate of Eligibility at the local immigration office. It takes a few months to obtain the certificate, which is valid for three months.

    Step 2: Submitting the Japan Work Visa Application

    After obtaining the Certificate of Eligibility, the employer can proceed to apply for a work visa for the employee. 

    Step 3: Waiting for Processing

    The employee must wait for the processing of the visa application. The processing time may vary depending on the Embassy or Consulate.

    Step 4: Collecting the Visa

    Once the Japan Work Visa application has been processed, the employee must collect their visa from the Embassy or Consulate. If the application was approved, they may then enter Japan. 


    • A letter of guarantee
    • An official invitation letter was issued to the candidate
    • A list of visa applicants 
    • Essential details of your company 
    • A detailed itinerary in Japan



    The Japan Work Visa takes five to ten business days to process. Although, the actual time depends on the specific office to which the applicant has applied.

    However, it may take up to three months to obtain the Certificate of Eligibility for the Work Visa.


    Applicants must pay a fee for the types of visas they are applying for. The cost varies according to the Japan visa types, the applicant’s nationality, and whether they desire a single- or multiple-entry process. The fee for a Single-entry visa is 3,000 Yen, and for a Double-entry or multiple-entry visa is 6,000 Yen.

    Re-entry permit

    Only if your stay outside of Japan is longer than one year do you require a re-entry permit. You just need a Special Re-Entry Permit, which you may obtain at the airport before you go if you will depart and return within a year.


    The Japan Business Visa and Start-up Visa are two different types of visas designed for foreign workers in Japan.

    The Japan Business Visa is designed for foreign workers who will be working in Japan for a Japanese company or subsidiary, typically as a manager, executive, or specialist. This visa is often used by employees who are transferred to Japan from overseas offices of multinational corporations or by foreign workers who are hired directly by a Japanese company.

    The Start-up Visa, on the other hand, is designed for foreign entrepreneurs who want to start a new business in Japan. This visa is specifically aimed at attracting foreign start-up companies and entrepreneurs to Japan, and offers a range of benefits, such as streamlined application procedures, flexible immigration rules, and access to government support and funding.

    The main difference between these two visas is the purpose of the stay in Japan. The Japan Business Visa is for foreign workers who will be employed by a Japanese company, while the Start-up Visa is for foreign entrepreneurs who want to start their own businesses in Japan.

    Sponsor Yes No, but you must submit New Business Implementation Plan (NBIP)
    Validity Period Maximum 90 days It can vary from 1, 3 to 5 years
    Type of Applicant A foreign worker who visits Japan for work-related reasons, such as attending a meeting or conference, conducting business discussions or negotiations, etc. Foreign entrepreneurs or business investors who wish to start a new business company or work as a business manager at a foreign subsidiary company in Japan.
    Work Experience At least one (1) year in a managerial position At least three (3) years of professional experience in the related field
    Criteria of the Business Company 1. A government organisation. 2. A corporation that has been listed on the stock market. 3. A company that regularly conducts business with Japanese companies and is listed on the Japanese stock exchange. 4. A joint company that invested with a Japanese business listed on the Japanese stock exchange. 5. A company that participates in the Japan Chamber of Commerce (JCC) in a city with a Japanese Embassy or Consulate. 1. Minimum 5 million yen for the company's paid-up capital. 2. Must acquire a physical office in Japan. 3. The company must have at least two full-time employees.
    Multiple entries Possible


    The process of applying for a visa in Japan is straightforward. More importantly, Japan work visa requirements differ for each type. Our team of professionals and experts will help you obtain and apply for a visa that suits your business needs in Japan smoothly.

    If you have further inquiries about the ins and outs of visa applications, types of visas, and other matters related to visas in Japan, feel free to reach out to us at Relin Consultants.


    What Professions are Eligible for a Japan Work Visa?

    A wide range of professions may be eligible for a Japan Work Visa, including:

    • Skilled labour: Engineers, IT professionals, healthcare workers, and other highly skilled professionals are in demand in Japan.
    • English teachers: English language teachers are in high demand in Japan, especially for those who are native speakers or have a teaching certificate.
    • Business professionals: Executives, managers, and other business professionals may be eligible for a Japan Work Visa if they are employed by a Japanese company.
    • Artists and performers: Musicians, actors, and other artists and performers may be eligible for a Japan Work Visa if they have a job offer in Japan.
    • Interns: Students and recent graduates may be eligible for an internship visa if they have a job offer from a Japanese company.

    Please note that the specific requirements and eligibility criteria for each type of work visa may vary, and it is important to check with the local immigration office or a licensed immigration consultant for the latest information.

    How Long Does it Take to Process a Japanese Work Visa Application?

    The Japan Work Visa takes five to ten business days to process. Although, the actual time depends on the specific office to which the applicant has applied.

    However, it may take up to three months to obtain the Certificate of Eligibility for the Work Visa.

    What to Do After Entering Japan With a Work Visa?

    At the port of entry, the applicant will be given a Landing Permit on a Work visa once they arrive in Japan. The Landing Permit replaces the visa and serves as “permission” to enter Japan. If the applicant is going to leave Japan for more than a year, a Residence Card and a Re-Entry Permit are also required.

    How Much is the Fee for a Japan Work Visa?

    The fee requirements for a Japan Working Visa depend on the type of visa. The fee for a Single-entry visa is 3,000 Yen, and for a Double-entry or multiple-entry visa is 6,000 Yen.

    What is the Duration of a Japan Work Visa?

    Japan work visa duration is based on the applicant’s profession and the duration of the work contract. It can be Three months, Four months, One year, Three years, or Five years.

    Regardless of the duration, the applicant can apply for an extension of the Work Visa before it expires.

    How to Extend a Japan Work Visa?

    The applicant must apply for an extended period of stay at the Japan immigration office. The following documents will be required to extend the Japan Work Visa.

    • Extension of the Period of Stay Application Form completed and signed
    • Applicant’s passport and Residence Card
    • Passport-size picture 
    • Proof that the applicant meets the financial requirements to continue living in Japan
    • Proof of continued employment which states the details of the employment, such as the salary, position, and duration
    • The company’s registration documents
    • Proof of the annual income and tax payment

    Can my family members come to Japan with me if I am given a Work Visa?

    Yes, by using Spouse Visa, a foreigner working in Japan can sponsor his wife and children to come to Japan.

    How to change the Status from a Different Type of Visa to a Japan Work Visa?

    The status of the visa can be changed by applying for a “Change of Status of Residence” at the local Immigration Services office in Japan if you are residing in Japan on a type of visa that does not permit employment, such as a student visa or spouse visa. The applicant must submit the same paperwork as applying for a new visa.

    What is an e-Visa in Japan?

    E-Visa is a new system implemented in Japan for more accessible visa applications. You can apply through the e-Visa official portal for any visa you require.

    What type of visa is not permitted to work in Japan?

    Not all visas will allow the holder to work in Japan. A visa holder listed below is not permitted to work:

    • Cultural Activity Visa holder
    • Temporary Visitor Visa holder
    • College Student Visa holder
    • Dependent Visa holders such as the spouse of a foreign residence staying in Japan.

    Should I apply for a visa to Japan through an online procedure?

    If you are qualified for the e-Visa application, you should use the streamlined electronic application. The application process is made more accessible by allowing the applicant to only fill in their data, such as their full name, date of birth, address, passport information, and intended trip dates.

    Why is my visa application rejected?

    Your visa application may be denied or rejected if it does not meet the requirements set by the Japanese immigration authorities. Some common reasons for rejection include a lack of a proper sponsor in Japan, insufficient skills or qualifications for the intended work in Japan, or incomplete or incorrect documentation.

    It is important to thoroughly research and understand the requirements before submitting a visa application to avoid disappointment.


    Flexi Desk is referred to as a "Desk" or Smart Office by the business community in Dubai. In Dubai, flexi-desks are equipped with a desk and chair arrangement and are available to businesses registered under free zone authority. The Flexi desk facility has no walls, cabins, or enclosures. In certain jurisdictions, flexi desks offer extra [...]

    The applicant must complete an authorized boater safety course and become familiar with Delaware boating laws to obtain a boating license. They must also apply for your Delaware boat registration if they buy their own boat. Every motorboat in Delaware must be registered, and the owner must always have a copy of the boat registration [...]

    Tax avoidance and tax evasion are not the same, even if they sound similar. One is a legal way to lower the tax liability, while the other may get you into serious trouble with the tax authorities. First, one must make sure to know the difference between the two phrases if one wants to pay [...]