If you require a work pass that gives you greater freedom and does not bind you to a single business, PEP Singapore may be the one for you. To attract highly qualified foreign individuals, the Singapore government offers extra privileges to holders of the Personalized Employment Pass (PEP) compared to holders of the ordinary Employment Pass. More information about PEP Singapore can be found below.
WHAT IS A PERSONALISED EMPLOYMENT PASS IN SINGAPORE?
A Singapore Personalised Work Pass (PEP) is a sort of employment pass that is not tied to any particular employer. PEPs are intended for highly qualified individuals wishing to work in Singapore. This permit allows you to change jobs in Singapore without having to reapply for an entrance visa, as long as you are not jobless for more than six months.
To qualify for a PEP application, the individual must earn at least S$12,000 per month in Singapore or S$18,000 per month if applying overseas. Editors, sub-editors, journalists, and media producers are not qualified to apply for the PEP.
PEP is non-renewable, and the applicants must apply for an employment pass or Singapore permanent residency after 3 years of validity.
BENEFITS OF A PERSONALISED EMPLOYMENT PASS
Flexibility and freedom
With a valid personalized employment pass, individuals are not tied to a specific employer and can switch employment without complications as long as they remain compliant with the salary requirements. Individuals can change jobs by notifying the authorities and submitting a simple declaration.
Gateway to Singapore residency
PEP holders are allowed to continuously stay unemployed in Singapore for up to six months while searching for a potential job opportunity. Holders of the work pass are also entitled to seek employment in most sectors as a professional.
Restricted sectors are mainly media, security officers, and health sectors. Individuals must seek special permission before applying to work in such a sector. Holders of the work pass can also apply for a Singapore work visa.
Entitled to spouse visa
PEP holders can also apply for dependant’s pass privileges and bring their legal spouses, unmarried children under 21, and parents to Singapore.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PERSONALISED EMPLOYMENT PASS AND AN EMPLOYMENT PASS
They are comparable in several respects. Both passes allow pass holders to live and work in Singapore, travel in and out of the country without requiring an entrance visa, and bring family members across to the country through Dependent’s Passes and Long-Term Visit Passes.
Personalized Employment Pass holders must meet additional requirements, mainly the following:
- In Singapore, you are not permitted to create a business. An employee of your own company or engaged in an entrepreneurial activity are examples of this. However, you can be paid directors of a company you do not own.
- Holders of a Personalised Employment Pass must earn a fixed income of S$144,000 per year for the period of the pass.
|Employment Pass||Personalised Employment Pass|
|An employer in Singapore must sponsor the application. Hence the applicant must have a job offer before applying. The pass will be tied to the Singapore company offering employment.||No sponsor is required. A local contact is needed to act as the contact point should there be any need. Applicant can secure employment after approval of the pass and arriving in Singapore.|
|Minimum salary requirement of S$5,000 monthly||Minimum salary requirement of S$ 12,000 to S$18,000 monthly.|
|2 years validity and can be renewed.||3 years validity without a renewal option.|
|Foreign investors can set up a Singapore company and apply for employment passes and relocate to Singapore.||Foreign investors cannot act as a shareholder of a Singapore company under the personalized employment pass program.|
|The individual's educational qualifications, specialized skills, relevant work experiences, and salary will be used as a basis for assessment. The company offering the job must meet the quotas and other requirements as well.||Individual merits will be assessed.|
KEY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PERSONALISED EMPLOYMENT PASS
For you to qualify for the Personalised Employment Pass, you will need to fulfill one of the following requirements:
- You have an Employment Pass and earn a minimum monthly income of S$12,000 and a fixed annual income of at least S$144,000 in the preceding year.
- You are a foreign professional with a monthly fixed income of at least S$18,000 in Singapore. Your most recent income should not have been drawn more than six months before submitting your PEP application.
Who Is Not Eligible To Apply For The Personalised Employment Pass?
If you fall under the following criteria below, you will be ineligible for the PEP.
- An Employment Pass holder under the sponsorship program.
- A freelancer or a foreigner who plans to work as a freelancer.
- A sole proprietor, partner, director, or shareholder in an ACRA-registered business.
- An editor, journalist, subeditor, or producer.
Required Documents For The PEP Application
If you already have an Employment Pass, you do not need to produce any further documentation. However, you must fill out the following information on your Personalised Employment Pass application forms.
- Passport information
- Employer’s name and address, if available
- Job and salary information
- Local contact information (for overseas professionals, the local contact information can be furnished upon approval)
- Dependant’s Pass holder’s information
- Long-term social visit permit holder’s information
If you do not have an Employment Pass, you must produce the following supplementary documents:
- A copy of the passport’s information page
- The employment contract of your new or previous employment
- The past three month’s salary slips and bank account statements
- Most recent tax statement
- A copy of your most recent resume and other relevant educational certificates
Procedures For The Applying For A Personalised Employment Pass
A summary of the procedure for applying for a Personalised Employment Pass can be seen below.
- An applicant can send the PEP application form and the required documents to any SingPost branch.
- Upon application approval, the MOM will issue an in-principle letter.
- The PEP must be issued within six months of receiving the in-principle letter.
- The applicant must visit the authority to register a fingerprint and photo on the PEP.
- The MOM will deliver the card to the address specified in the application.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you want a more in-depth procedure. The overall process might seem straightforward, but we at Relin Consultants always want to guarantee any applications from our clients are done properly. Get in touch with us for more information.
What Must I Do To Keep My Personalised Employment Pass Valid?
You must keep the authorities informed of your contact and job details.
The notifications can be done through the PEP notification form or the employment pass online account (EPOL)
To establish an EPOL account, you must first use Singpass, an online gateway for Singapore Government transactions.
How Long Would It Take For My Personalised Employment Pass Application To Be Processed?
The majority of applications are processed in eight weeks.
When your application is granted, you will receive an In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter, valid for six months. You must pick up your pass from Singapore’s Ministry of Manpower (MOM) office within this time frame. You must also provide any additional papers asked in the letter.
How Can I Renew My Personalised Employment Pass?
Unlike other work permits, the Personalised Employment Pass cannot be renewed after the three years have expired. You can continue working in Singapore with an Employment Pass when it expires or seek permanent residency.
Upon Obtaining The PEP, Am I Allowed To Cancel It?
If a candidate (PEP holder) or an employment agent has been jobless for more than 6 months, the PEP might be canceled. EP Online allows you to cancel the pass right away.
If the PEP holder is still in Singapore, the person canceling the permit must remember to issue a short-term visit Pass for 30 days. The original pass must be returned within one week of being canceled.
Is It Possible To Replace My PEP Card?
If a PEP card is stolen, lost, or damaged, the PEP holder or an employment agency may ask for a replacement within 7 days. If a PEP holder’s card is taken, he or she must report it to the police.
Is It Possible For A Pep Holder To Apply For Singapore Permanent Residence (PR)?
Yes, PEP holders can apply for Permanent Residence (PR) if they are employed at the time of application. You do not have to wait till the PEP runs out before applying for Singapore PR.
Please keep in mind that the PR application is subject to approval by the relevant authorities.
Can A PEP Holder Bring His Family Members To Singapore?
Yes, a PEP holder can bring the following family members to Singapore.
- Common-law partner
- Children under the age of 21 (Minors)
- Unmarried disabled children above the age of 21
- Unmarried stepchildren under the age of 21
Is It Difficult To Get The Personalised Employment Pass (PEP)?
Qualifying individuals can get the PEP approval easily if the application is done correctly and all the proof of income and personal documents are legitimate. Engaging a professional firm such as Relin Consultants is advisable to assist with the application process.
Why Am I Required To Give The Details Of The Local Contact Person For My Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) Application?
The local contact person must be a Singaporean citizen or permanent resident. The contact person will act as an emergency contact point and not be liable for the work pass application in any manner.
What Will Happen If A Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) Holder Does Not Meet The Requirement Of The Minimum Salary?
Your PEP will be canceled, and you will be issued a short-term visit pass which is valid for 30 days. The individual can still seek employment but must apply for an employment pass before commencing work. Individuals are not allowed to work while holding a short-term visit pass.